Friday, December 26, 2008

My Domestic Wishes for the New Year

Seeing as I've technically received nothing for Christmas yet, except for Phillip and a feud or two, I thought I would write down all my thoughts about my future homestead and what I want to start doing now. There's about a million or so things in my life that I want to do, but a recurring dream of mine is to be uber domestic. As some of you know, I already am overly domestic, especially when Phillip, Sasha Fierce, and I get together. The Christmas party that my roommate and his friend decided to throw at our place and tell Phillip and I about an hour before it started, and the fact that Phillip and I had hors d'oeuvres in that amount of time on holiday appropriate plates can attest to that.

Anyjew, here's what I want in my future domicile territory.

-Herb garden: I'm already starting an indoor one with the help of my mother and clippings from her garden. Her food always tastes ten times more amazing than anything else and she always chalks it up to her fresh herbs. At last count, I think she had 6 different types of Basil growing, along with oregano, sage, rosemary, thyme, and so on. Herbs aren't only good for cooking, they're great for aromatherapy and letting them dry around the house brings new scents into the house.

-Bee hive: Yes, a bee hive. I actually use to know a family that had one in their yard, and you would have never known it. Even when you're near flowers, you don't notice a unusual amount of bees flying around. And, they actually aren't aggressive at all until late summer when they become territorial. That's because bees have a five mile radius for flying and do other tasks within the hive, and also they lose their lives when they sting you. So, if they don't see you as a threat, they leave you bee (pun intended). The benefit of a bee hive of course is the honey, which after having fresh honey from the neighbors, I can tell you is truly amazing. A secondary bonus is growing bee friendly plants in the yard that the bees will pollinate for free.

-A great kitchen: All you really need in life to cook is a pan, a pot, and a great knife; however, there are a ton of things that you can get that will make cooking fun and easy. Like a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, food processor, blender, two ovens, built in cutting board, walk-in pantry, farm-house sink, bread maker, etc etc...Oh, and lots of windows for light. In my dream house, my kitchen will be probably twice the size of the living room.

A large house: Yes, this is everyone's dream, but since I'm not going to have kids (probably not, unless Georgienne can convince me otherwise) you may be wondering why the hell I want a large house. Barring me moving to the old country, I actually want to live with my friends. Pepaw already has a reserved spot even now at my apartment. Some people might think this is weird, but think how much more fun you have when you cook and clean and garden and party with your friends and your spouse. And then, when you get sick of them, just stay on your floor or wing of the house. The communal living has a ton of benefits like cooking for a large group, and doing activities together like working out and shopping, but also has the benefits of living in a house. Plus, I totally get to have a library, workout room, and sun room without feeling guilty about having more rooms than God.

Well, a gay man can dream.

No comments: